Orientation to Distance Learning (CSP-0002)
You are enrolled in an online class. Now what?
Complete the online orientation course, CSP-0002. If this is your first online course, you are required to complete CSP-0002 - Orientation to Distance Learning. CSP-0002 is a fully online class. If you do not complete the orientation by the start date of your online classes, you may be dropped from the online orientation class and any other online class or classes you are enrolled in for the semester.
How Online Classes Work
- Online learning requires time management, dedicated study time, and access to a computer and the internet. Try to schedule 5-9 hours per week for each class you're taking.
- Online classes are generally not self-paced; the instructor will give you due dates for assignments in email and/or Blackboard.
- You have access to ONLINE academic support resources (tutoring, writing center, library, help desk). Use them!
- Learn how to use your IVCC accounts
- Check your IVCC email
- Log in to Blackboard
- Contact the Student Help Desk for assistance
Use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. If you can't get something to open, try a different browser. Check your computer's browser for Blackboard compatibility.
- Log in regularly and participate
- Read and re-read assignment instructions
- Schedule your day and week for time to study and do assignments
- Email your instructor, ask questions
- Work on assignments before they are due
- Submit assignments by the deadlines
- Keep track of your grades
Hardware and Software Needs
- Internet Service and Hotspots - visit the www.ivcc.edu/learningresources page for a list of known providers and plans
- You may be able to do your online work on a smart phone or tablet, but your best experience will be on a laptop or desktop computer.
- A Blackboard app is available in your app store. Read announcements and check your grades using the app but we recommend not using the app for online quizzes or tests.
- It's likely you will need a word processing program. All IVCC students can install Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus to personal computers and mobile devices. Uninstall previous Office products before downloading the software. Read more at https://www.ivcc.edu/email.
- If you use Google Docs as your word processor and need to download a file as a .docx, check out these instructions: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/49114?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- If you use Pages as your primary word processing tool and need to download a file as a .doc or .docx, check out these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202227
- If you need to submit a file as an assignment in Blackboard, use these instructions: https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Student/Assignments/Submit_Assignments
Taking Tests Online in Blackboard
You may need to take a quiz or test in Blackboard. Consider these tips and access the resources below if you're required to use Respondus LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor.
- Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- Close all other applications and browsers, including music applications.
- Do not use the browser's Back button or Refresh buttons during a test.
- Use the Save button next to each question. When tests display one question at a time, the response is automatically saved when you move to the next question.
- Some tests are timed. A countdown timer will alert you of your time remaining. The timer will not stop until the test is submitted.
- At the end of the test, click the Submit button only once and wait for a confirmation that the test is submitted.
Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
Respondus Lockdown Browser cannot be installed on a Chromebook. If your instructor indicates the Lockdown Browser is required and you have only a Chromebook device, please communicate this with your instructor.
If your class requires the software Respondus Lockdown Browser, download it from here: https://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=328538650
When you need help, reach out to us: