Orientation to Distance Learning (CSP-0002)
You are enrolled in an online class. Now what?
Complete the online orientation course, CSP-0002. If this is your first online course, you are required to complete CSP-0002 - Orientation to Distance Learning. CSP-0002 is a fully online orientation.
How Online Classes Work
- Online learning requires time management, dedicated study time, and access to a computer and the internet. Try to schedule 5-9 hours per week for each class you're taking (3 credit hour course in a 16-week semester).
- Online classes are generally not self-paced; the instructor will give you due dates for assignments in email and/or Brightspace.
- You have access to ONLINE academic support resources (tutoring, writing center, library, help desk). Use them!
- Learn how to use your IVCC accounts
- Check your IVCC email
- Log in to Brightspace
- Contact the Student Help Desk for assistance
Use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. If you cannot get something to open, try a different browser. Need more help? Contact the Student Help Desk, A201, 815-224-0318, email@example.com
- Log in regularly and participate
- Read and re-read assignment instructions
- Schedule your day and week for time to study and do assignments
- Email your instructor, ask questions
- Work on assignments before they are due
- Submit assignments by the deadlines
- Keep track of your grades
Hardware and Software Needs
- Internet Service and Hotspots - visit the www.ivcc.edu/learningresources page for a list of known providers and plans
- You may be able to do some of your online work on a smart phone, but your best experience will be on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Brightspace Pulse app is available in your app store. Read announcements and check your grades using the app but we recommend not using the app for online quizzes or tests.
- It's likely you will need a word processing program. All IVCC students can install Microsoft 365 apps to personal computers and mobile devices. Uninstall previous Office products before downloading the software. Read more at https://www.ivcc.edu/studenthelpdesk/MSOfficeApps.php.
- If you use Google Docs as your word processor and need to download a file as a .docx, check out these instructions: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/49114?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- If you use Pages as your primary word processing tool and need to download a file as a .doc or .docx, check out these instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/pages/export-to-word-pdf-or-another-file-format-tance1161f26/mac
- If you need to submit a file as an assignment in Brightspace, use these instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY0ogyh-IhQ
Taking Tests Online in Brightspace
You may need to take a quiz or test in Brightspace. Consider these tips and access the resources below if you're required to use Respondus LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor.
- Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- Close all other applications and browsers, including music applications.
- Do not use the browser's Back button or Refresh buttons during a test.
- Use the Save button next to each question. When tests display one question at a time, the response is automatically saved when you move to the next question.
- Some tests are timed. A countdown timer will alert you of your time remaining. The timer will not stop until the test is submitted.
- At the end of the test, click the Submit button only once and wait for a confirmation that the test is submitted.