Campus and Community Tutoring Program
The Campus and Community Tutoring Program is located at Illinois Valley Community
College in Oglesby, IL. The program trains and places volunteer tutors in adult education
classes in the IVCC district.
Campus and Community Tutoring Program contact: Carrie - 815-224-0279
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Submit an Adult Education Volunteer Tutor Application.
Volunteer Training Information
Volunteers must complete 10 hours of training before being placed with learners in
the classroom; however, teaching experience is not necessary. Visiting an Adult Education
classroom is an additional training component. In-person training sessions are conducted
in the winter, summer and fall. Completion of training does not guarantee placement.
Interested in completing tutor training online? Find more information for online training on the IL Cyberdrive Literacy website.
- Desire to work with adult learners and be willing to tutor two-three hours
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Ability to teach, but no college degree or teaching experience needed
- Good interpersonal skills
- Effective communication skills
- Patience, understanding and respect for adult learners
- Age 18 or older
- IVCC district resident
- Complete 10 hours of tutor training
- Provide instruction to adult learners
- Provide a comfortable setting for learning
- Respect adult learners' rights to confidentiality
- Submit a monthly tutor report
For tutors currently working with students:
Monthly Tutor Report (PDF) (printable, mail/fax form)
Monthly Tutor Report (single learner online form)
Monthly Tutor Report (group/classroom online form)