Counseling and Advising
Our highly trained staff will assist you with academic planning which includes:
“Academic Advising is a collaborative educational process whereby you and the counselor are partners in ensuring your academic success, and outlining the steps for achievement of your personal, academic, and career goals” (Nutt, 2005).
Beginning with admission to the college and continuing each semester, we encourage you to consult with a counselor each semester to schedule your courses. We will assist with program reviews, course sequences, & semester schedules.
Counselors are available to facilitate the exploration of your educational goals by:
- Introducing degree guide sheets & electronic resources
- Learning strategies for success
- Exploring major fields of study
- Understanding general education requirements
- Mapping the path, time-line, expense and personal resources needed to meet your goal
IVCC Counselors can help you to explore and clarify your understanding of personal qualities that influence your career choice. Counselors are available to aid in the career decision-making process and to select educational programs related to a chosen career direction. Counselors assist with:
- Exploring options and opportunities in the career fields
- Identifying your personal interests, skills and abilities
- Matching an educational plan with your career interests
- Encouraging personal growth and development through education
- Career information is located in Career Services
First-Year Counseling & Registration
Current or Returning Student? How to meet with a counselor.