Purchasing Guidelines for Student Organizations
Student Activities Acquisitions
All Student Activities acquisitions must comply with the College’s Purchasing Policies and Procedures as outlined below:
- All purchases will be made in accordance with the Illinois Public Community College Act and the Illinois Purchasing Act. (SEE CONTRACTS)
- IVCC will continue to issue bids/proposals for items over $25,000 in order to ensure the integrity of the purchasing process and to be sure that the college’s funds are expended wisely.
- Requests to purchase items or supplies that will exceed $25,000, must have Board approval.
- An order should not be placed for any dollar amount without an authorized Purchase Order.
All other payments, which include ALL payments to outside vendors and reimbursements
over $300 will need to have a purchase order.
Remember when you get quotations, DO NOT place the order--that is the Purchasing Department's job. If an order is placed without a purchase order, the individual who placed the order may be personally responsible for paying for it.
- Start the process: A request for requisition form must be completed and approved with the signature of the Organizational Advisor and submitted to Lisa Witalka in Career Services, Room CTC-203.
- The requisition request [to purchase] is then processed in the system to generate a Purchase Order.
- Once approved by the appropriate budget officers, the Purchasing Department will finalize and send the formal Purchase Order to the vendor. NOTE: This may take a few days to complete the process. Please plan and time appropriately to ensure your shipment arrives when you need it.
All requisitions will be approved by the Coordinator of Student Activities. All requisitions must have the status of a Purchase Order by 4 p.m. on Monday in order of a check to be cut on Thursday of that week.
These are the price points so you know how many quotes you may need to obtain. All of the quote information is needed to process the requisition before purchasing may create the PO.
- The pricing/quoting requirements include the following:
$0-$999.99 (1) or (2) price inquiries
$1,000-$2,499.99 (2) or (3) written or phone quotations noting quotes received in the requisition
$2,500-$24,999.99 (2) or (3) written quotes. Copy of quotes received shall be forwarded to the director of purchasing for review
$25,000.00 + Authorization from the IVCC Board of Trustees
- If a vendor is involved with the College (student, faculty, staff, etc.), multiple bids are required regardless of the amount.
- Advisors must sign off on all requisition requests.
No rule is without exception. There will exist a need at times to sole source, but it should be very limited. An example is the purchase of items to add to an existing piece of equipment. Sole source is not allowed on the basis of only one manufacturer being capable of making a product.
Purchasing requires a signed confirmation in letter form from the vendor that they are indeed the sole provider.
In order for IVCC to do business with any company, completed vendor forms must be completed and faxed to the IVCC Purchasing Department at 815-224-0294. Orders will not be processed until Purchasing receives this information.
These vendor forms can be found on the student activities guidelines and forms page.
No vendor is to start a job without a purchase order being generated first. Organizations may talk to the vendor about pricing, specifications, etc., but they should not START IT. Please plan ahead if you know you are going to purchase items.
Information about Reimbursements