Veterans Information

IVCC is committed to serving our active duty, veterans, and their eligible family members.  We are here to assist you in accessing education benefits.  Several programs and services are available to military personnel and their families.  Be sure to contact us for assistance.  Thank you for choosing IVCC. 

Financial Aid and Veteran Benefits Office

We are located in Room CTC101R.  Call for an appointment or walk-ins are welcome.  For more information, contact the Veteran's Representative at 815.224.0200 or via email at

The Financial Aid and Veteran Benefits Office will help you file the appropriate forms to process your educational benefit claims with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the State of Illinois Veterans Administration, the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC), and the Department of Education.  We are also available to answer questions about veterans educational benefits and financial aid, and direct you to college support services that will help you succeed in college courses.  We are available to assist you or refer you to the appropriate resource for any questions you may have in regard to your education.

Veterans Forms

Checklist for Enrollment at IVCC  – a variety of links and information that will help you get your benefits started and get enrolled at IVCC.

Biographic Information and Veteran’s Responsibility Agreement – complete and submit to enable us to add you into our system.

Enrollment Certification Request – submit along with a copy of your schedule to ensure your enrollment will be certified to the VA.

Important Links



College Catalog

Tuition, Fees, and Payments

Tuition Assistance

Federal Programs

Tuition Assistance (TA) - If you are a reservist or active duty interested in using TA to take classes at IVCC, contact your unit's Education Service Officer (ESO) to make sure you are eligible, then contact the IVCC Cashier's Office TA representative at 815.224.0215 to begin the process.  Students using TA benefits are held to the IVCC Return of Title IV Funds policy.  Failure to complete at least 60 percent of the semester may result in a recalculation of you TA benefits and a portion returned to the program.

Individuals should allow a minimum of 6-8 weeks after an application for benefits and all supporting documents have been submitted to the VA before receiving notification of eligibility.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Educational assistance is available to individuals who are members of the Selected Reserve, which includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.  This educational assistance is also available to members of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.  Reservists may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits.  Generally, benefit entitlement ends 14 years from the date of eligibility for the program.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® (Active Duty)    Educational assistance is available to individuals who have an honorable discharge and meet additional eligibility criteria as determined by the VA.  This program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. Generally, benefit entitlement ends 10 years following the release from active duty.

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®  Financial support is available for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  Prior to applying for education benefits, each potential applicant is encouraged to complete a thorough benefit comparison of eligibility through each program.

Comparison of Benefits Veterans who may be eligible for Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 are strongly encouraged to review their benefits under each program to determine which choice is most beneficial to them.  For many eligible veterans, the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® provides more attractive benefits than other veteran education benefit programs, however, veterans should carefully review all their options before making the irrevocable decision to apply for and utilize Post-9/11 GI Bill ® benefits.  As you consider different scenarios, pay careful attention to the differences that occur when changing from full-time to half-time and in the amount of the housing allowance you would be eligible to receive based on the location of the school you would be attending.

In addition to reviewing the monetary benefit amounts, students should also consider what type of training or education they are planning on pursuing, how important the time frame to utilize benefits, and whether or not they have remaining entitlement under other VA education programs.

Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment  Veterans with a service connected disability may be eligible for VR&E services by the VA.  After applying they will work with their Veterans Benefits Administration's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Counselor, who will notify the IVCC Veterans Benefits Advisor of each veteran's eligibility.

Chapter 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)  Educational assistance is available to eligible dependents of certain veterans and may provide up to 45 months of educational benefits.

Apply for Benefits   Apply for any version of the GI Bill® as well as a variety of other programs using the VONAPP website.

Federal Student Financial Aid  There are various federal financial aid programs available through the U.S. Department of Education including the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, College Work-Study, and Stafford Student Loans. All veterans and military personnel are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

State Programs

Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)   Veterans who have served at least one year of federal active duty service in the Armed Forces of the United States; or served on federal active duty service in a foreign country during a time of hostilities in that country and were honorably discharged after each period of federal active duty service; and/or are honorably serving may be eligible for the Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) Program.  Any member of the Illinois National Guard or a Reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States who meets the eligibility requirements is considered a qualified applicant for the IVG Program.  Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit an IVG program application if they anticipate attending college at any point in the future. The IVG pays eligible tuition and mandatory fees for up to 120 units (Generally the equivalent of a 4 year degree.)

Veterans who qualify for both the Illinois Veteran Grant and the Montgomery GI Bill ® may receive benefits from both programs during the same academic year.

Illinois National Guard Grant (ING) Members of the Illinois National Guard may be eligible to receive the Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant.  This grant pays for eligible tuition costs and certain fees for a maximum of the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment.  Illinois National Guard Members must complete an online application.

MIA/POW Scholarship The dependent of a person who was an Illinois resident at the time he/she entered active duty and has been declared to be a prisoner of war, missing in action, dead as a result of a service-connected disability, or disabled with a 100 percent disability as the result of a service-connected cause as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Defense may be eligible to receive the MIA/POW Scholarship.  This scholarship may be used at public colleges in Illinois, and is administered by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs.  Additional information, as well as an application, is available at Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

The various federal and state programs require the student to maintain satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility for their program.  In general the student must maintain a 2.0 grade point average and a 67% completion rate to continue to be eligible.  Please see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for more complete information.

Credit for Military Training

Veterans may be awarded up to 6 semester credit hours toward their degree by submitting the Member-4 copy of their DD-214 to the Admissions and Records Office.

Veterans may be eligible to receive additional transfer credit for specialized military training in accordance with recommended standards outlined by the American Council on Education (ACE). One of the following documents as well as the Request for Evaluation of Transcript must be submitted to the IVCC Admissions and Records Office to receive this credit.  Unofficial copies or transcripts printed from the Internet cannot be accepted.

  • Army, Navy and Marine Corps: Active Duty, Reserve or Veterans may have a transcript sent to the college through the Joint Services Transcript site.  Air Force or Coast Guard transcripts must be requested separately.

Verification of Benefits

Students receiving Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill ® Active Duty) and Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill ® Selected Reserve Program) benefits must verify their enrollment the last day of each month (or after) with the VA by calling 877.823.2378 or online at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - WAVE.

GI Bill (R) is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at