Do I need a placement test?
Maybe; maybe not. IVCC recommends all students take math placement tests. If you have standardized scores, high school coursework and GPA, or high school equivalencies, you may not need to do testing in reading and/or English.
IVCC uses the following for placement:
- Official PSAT 10 or NMSQT (EBRW/Math) subscores
- SAT (EBRW/MATH) and ACT (Reading, English, Math) subscores
- Final High school GPA (unweighted)--Official transcipt must be on file with IVCC (graduating seniors)
- High school equivalency scores (GED or HiSET)
- Successful completion of developmental courses
- Placement testing
- Official AP Scores
- Final grade from High School Transitional Math and/or English coursework
Use the IVCC Placement Indicator Tool to determine your placement options. You will need test score, coursework, and GPA information.
- Reading, English, and Math Placement Guide
- Dual Credit Placement Guide
- Math Placement, Classes, and Degree Requirements
Individualized Education Plans
Students who had Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 Plans in high school should contact the Center for Accessibility and Neurodiversity coordinator for assistance with going through the placement process. Call 815-224-0634.
Official Scores and Transcripts
Placement based on unofficial scores and transcripts must be confirmed by IVCC receiving official scores and transcripts. Students must request official reports and transcripts to be sent to IVCC, Admissions and Records; 815 Orlando Smith Road; Oglesby, IL 61348. If official transcripts are not received prior to the start of the semester, courses will be dropped from a student’s schedule.