IVCC has expanded options available to students in using high school GPA (graduating seniors), SAT and ACT scores, and High School Equivalency (GED or HiSET) testing to register for classes. Official PSAT (10 or NMSQT) scores will also be allowed to register students for Spring 2021, Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 coursework. Before you schedule your placement, please review the Reading, English and Math Placement Guide (below) to determine what scores may allow you to register for IVCC coursework. Please also make certain that your official transcripts, ACT/SAT scores, High School Equivalency and have already been sent to IVCC.
Initial placement testing in all three areas is free. Students may retest two times within a calendar year from the date they initially tested for a fee. Math and Reading are $10 a piece to retest, English is $15 to retest.
Use these tools to determine your placement in Reading, English, and Math and which Math classes you must complete to satisfy degree requirements.
- Dual Credit Placement Guide
- Reading, English, and Math Placement Guide
- Math Placement, Classes, and Degree Requirements
Schedule ONLINE Placement Testing
IVCC is now offering online placement testing through Examity. You will be able to take placement testing anywhere with a reliable computer and connection to the internet.
How to request online placement testing:
Are you ready for online placement testing? Check out Examity's "For Students" page to learn about the requirements.
***PLEASE NOTE! IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES THAT BEGIN JANUARY 14, 2021, IVCC DOES NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OF AVAILABILITY FOR PLACEMENT TESTING SCHEDULE THROUGH EXAMITY. IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ON CAMPUS FOR TESTING
Check your email account for testing information. Confirmation or follow up on online testing requests will be processed in 2-3 business days. The voucher you receive in email will provide your Examity appointment information. Also make sure you have a valid photo ID to provide at the time of your virtual proctoring appointment.
Computer Requirements for Examity, Online ACCUPLACER
Browser: Google Chrome v39 or later, Firefox v34 or later, Internet Explorer v8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v6 or later. Please disable your pop-up blocker.
Operating System: Windows 7 or later, Mac OS 10.8 or later
– Desktop or laptop computer (tablets and Chromebooks are not supported)
– Built-in or external webcam, microphone and speakers
– 2GB or more of RAM
Internet Connection: An upload and download speed of 2Mbps
There is no charge at this time to the student for virtual proctoring. If a student is retesting, they will be contacted by the IVCC Assessment Center to pay their retest fee before their voucher is processed.
Questions about placement testing? Contact someone in the Assessment Center, 815-224-0542.
Want review before your placement exam appointment? Accuplacer has printable review as well as a free web based app that can assist you to feel more prepared for when you come to take your placement test.
Questions about admissions, counseling, or registration? Contact someone in Student Services, 815-224-0360.
In-Person Placement Testing
Placement testing on campus is not available while IVCC is closed. We will be in contact with potential IVCC students about placement testing options when we learn more about opportunities for testing available to students. If you need to speak to an IVCC counselor, please call (815) 224-0360 to schedule a phone or Zoom appointment.
Placement testing is done by appointment, only. Use the link below to schedule an appointment.Schedule Testing Appointments
What happens after you schedule a placement testing appointment?
- A photo ID is required for taking placement tests in the IVCC Assessment Center.
- You will need your IVCC ID number and K-number. Locate these numbers on your IVCC ID, welcome email, or welcome letter sent from the Admissions department.
- After you make an appointment, you will receive an e-mail with the information you need to be ready for placement testing.
- Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled testing time. Testers arriving late will not be admitted to test. Tests cannot be started within one hour of closing.
- Be sure to be prepared to comply with all testing policies and procedures.
- All electronic devices must be turned off and stored while students are testing.
- Special accommodations are available for placement and make-up tests. Arrangements must be made in advance. Please contact the Disability Services office at (815) 224-0284 for more information.
- Coats and bags are not allowed into testing rooms. Lockers are provided to store your personal items.
- Children are not allowed into any testing area or to be left unsupervised while individuals are testing.
- Take time and review before your appointment. Accuplacer has a free web based app and printable review available.