Get Set at IVCC
Spring 24 Session is Jan. 9th from 9 am - 1 pm. 15 seats are available. Register and save your spot today!
What graduates of the fall/spring Get Set sessions say ...
- Participants OVERWHELMINGLY would recommend Get Set to others
Get Set left them better prepared for college, helped them to keep up strong GPAs, and gave them confidence to enroll in the following semester
- Graduates said they gained skills in college knowledge, academic strategies, time management and coping strategies
- Staff and peers serve as mentors to Get Set students
Is Get Set for you?
Are you ready for college? If you are, great! If not, you are like a lot of other people who start at IVCC – nervous and doubtful, but hopeful that this will be the start of something life-changing.
Readiness for college isn't just about academics. It's about knowing college lingo, processes and resources, having the right technology skills, and knowing how to manage yourself, your time and your tasks. And it's about feeling a meaningful connection to people at the college.
If you are ready to go, but want some support as you start, Get Set might be the college-prep experience for you.
Get Set helps new and returning students:
- Build college knowledge and connections to resources
- Gain confidence with basic technology needed at IVCC
- Brush up on general academic strategies like time management, note taking, and test preparation
- Develop new relationships
- Learn about coping strategies to thrive at college
Get Set is:
- Free for students, and offering monetary incentives for participation
- Intended to build ongoing support and relationships within the college, so participants will be paired with a mentor that they will meet with regularly throughout the semester
- Intended for students who are often under-represented and under-served at college (such as low income, first generation, or within a minority group) or who simply want support to begin or re-launch their college careers
- The class is in-person only, and attendance at all sessions is required
- Designed to fit students' schedules
- is limited to 15 students a semester! Make sure to apply to save your seat!
The goal of Get Set is to help students build college readiness skills, strategies, and relationships so they are confidently ready to Go at the beginning of the semester.
Contact Tina Hardy at 815-224-0284 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The biggest lesson that new college student Torri Atkinson learned from IVCC’s Get Set program in Spring 2023 came in a small package. One of the college readiness program’s student presenters was a single mom going to school – just like Atkinson, who had also recently enrolled in college for the first time. Read more about Torri's experience.
Graduates of the first-ever Get Set from Fall 2022 share their thoughts about the program in the Center for Accessibility and Neurodiversity's fall newsletter.
"It definitely puts you in a good place for starting classes!"Mikayla Davies | first-year adult student
"I wanted to get a better understanding of how to work with everything that would be new and get comfortable with being in a new building and a new setting. Get Set was 100% worthwhile! Having that one-on-one and being able to come into school with familiar faces makes the experience easier."Katlynn Kolesar | first-year student