AccountingAccounting AAS Guidesheet Accounting Certificates Guidesheet
What is Accounting?
Accounting is the science of collecting, organizing, reporting, and communicating financial information to aid in making business decisions. There are a variety of career paths available in the field of accounting including bookkeeping, payroll, accounting clerk, accountant, and tax preparer. Jobs are available in manufacturing, public, as well as government sectors. Students graduating from the accounting program will have a working knowledge of financial, managerial, and tax accounting as well as the ability to use QuickBooks and prepare payroll.
Students can pursue a variety of options including:
- A basic as well as an Advanced Accounting Certificate which can be completed in as little as 1 ½ years.
- AAS in Accounting Degree containing a comprehensive set of courses including the ability to obtain both a Certified Bookkeeper designation (CB) as well as a Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC).
- For students that desire to continue their education we have a partnership in place with Franklin University utilizing a 3 + 1 program (three years at IVCC with completion of the final year online through Franklin University resulting in a Bachelor’s Degree).
- Courses are offered both online as well as face-to-face.
With the above options, students completing this program are prepared to directly enter the workforce.
Features of the Program
As part of the learning experience, instructors in the program stress hands on learning in addition to traditional classroom instruction. Students will experience working in teams, applying knowledge to real-world workplace scenarios, and working with Excel and other software programs.
IVCC tuition is just one-third to one-fourth the cost of state universities and far
below most private institutions. An approximation of tuition and fees and cost comparison
can be found on the IVCC website at www.ivcc.edu/payment and at www.ivcc.edu/save.
Many scholarship opportunities are available through the IVCC Foundation at
www.ivcc.edu/foundation and Financial Aid is available for those who qualify at www.ivcc.edu/financialaid.
Find out more about Accounting careers at www.mynextmove.org
- Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Clerk
- Payroll Accountant
- Tax Preparer